Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch a person and purpose-specific digital payment solution, e-RUPI, on August 2 via video conferencing.
The e-RUPI initiative will be one of the programmes launched over the years to limit touchpoints between the government and the beneficiary and “ensure that the benefits reach its intended beneficiaries in a targeted and leak-proof manner”, the Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement.
e-RUPI is a cashless and contactless instrument for digital payments. It acts as an e-voucher based on a QR code or SMS string, which is delivered to the mobile phones of the beneficiaries.
e-RUPI connects the sponsors of the services with the beneficiaries and service providers in a digital manner without any physical interface. It also ensures that the payment to the service provider is made only after the transaction is completed. Being prepaid in nature, it assures timely payment to the service provider without the involvement of any intermediary.
What is e-RUPI?
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) in association with Department of Financial Services (DFS), National Health Authority (NHA), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), and partner banks, has launched an innovative digital solution – ‘e-RUPI’.
The users of this seamless one-time payment mechanism will be able to redeem the voucher without a card, digital payments app or internet banking access, at the merchants accepting e-RUPI. e-RUPI would be shared with the beneficiaries for a specific purpose or activity by organizations or Government via SMS or QR code.
This contactless e-RUPI is easy, safe and secure as it keeps the details of the beneficiaries completely confidential. The entire transaction process through this voucher is relatively faster and at the same time reliable, as the required amount is already stored in the voucher.
e-RUPI Benefits for Corporates?
1. Corporates can enable well-being of their employees.
2. End to end digital transaction and doesn’t require any physical issuance hence leading to cost reduction.
3. Voucher redemption can be tracked by the issuer
4. Quick, safe & contactless voucher distribution
e-RUPI Benefits for Hospitals?
1. Easy & Secure – Voucher is authorized via a verification code
2. Hassle free & Contactless payment collection – Handling of cash or cards is not required
3. Quick redemption process – The voucher can be redeemed in a few steps and lesser decline due to pre-blocked amount
e-RUPI Benefits to the Consumer?
1. Beneficiary should not carry a print out of the voucher
2. Easy redemption – 2 step redemption process
3. Safe and Secure – Beneficiary doesn’t need to share personal details while redemption hence privacy is maintained
4. No digital or bank presence required – Consumer redeeming the voucher need not have a digital payment app or a bank account
Banks live with e-RUPI
Many leading banks in India have supported this e-RUPI project. The participation of the bank will take this project forward. Below is a list of some banks that are supporting e-RUPI project launched by Agarwal Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
1 Axis Bank 2 Bank of Baroda 3 Canara Bank 4 HDFC Bank 5 ICICI Bank 6 Indusind Bank 7 Indian Bank 8 Kotak Bank 9 Punjab National Bank 10 State Bank of India 11 Union Bank of India